Mortgage Advice Bureau (MAB) is one of the UK’s leading mortgage advice brands, with around 200 appointed representative businesses who house more than 1500 mortgage advisers.
Each year they help over 100,000 customers buy their first home, dream home or save money for their current home. They believe EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A HOME and in doing so, make a very complicated process easier, but they also want to grow and widen their offering to bring the MAB-magic to even more key moments in life.
They were already undertaking a ‘transformational change project’ driven by technology, to simplify and improve their customer and adviser journey but they wanted to ensure their internal culture connected all these things together and supported achievement of their strategic ambitions. They also wanted to become an even more MAB-nificent company to work for, and targeted achieving ‘Sunday Times Best Companies to Work for’ 2022.
We were briefed to:
- Perform a “stress test” on their current draft Mission, Vision and Values and refine it appropriately
- Design a Launch Campaign for the future culture, increase engagement, and activate a positive change to grow the business
- Make sure it is embedded throughout the organisation, including into recruitment, onboarding, retention, performance management and engagement
- To do it all during a Global Pandemic. No easy feat!
Consultancy methodology remotely via zoom, email, and phone. Claire Smith, MABs Director of People and Culture, took control of the entire project making it easy for us to do our job.
A Culture Design Group was created, comprising a mix of MAB’s Senior Leadership members, managers, and staff to fully understand all the issues faced within the business and to be the group who were able to elicit the essence of both the culture today and the culture required for the future. We needed the culture definition and story to be authentic, connecting MABs past, present, and future, to develop a strategic narrative. ‘MABology’ was born.
Key deliverables included:
- A new Mission, Vision and DNA was designed through facilitated exercises with the Design Group – the result of which was MABology
- A strategic narrative created, that the CEO/Founder, leaders, managers, and staff could all connect with about the MAB organisational change journey
- MABology Design & Iconography – We briefed the inhouse creative team at MAB to create a more cohesive brand
- MABology Launch Plan and 12-month engagement plan based on our 4E’s of Human Change principle – Educate, Engage, Empower and Enable and to develop the values into a set of behaviours
- MABology Online Launch Day Live Event – kickstarting the day with a MABology wellbeing booster, presentations to describe what MABology is, along with ‘surprise’ MABology kits sent in the post inviting staff to the event, to be opened on the day outlining the agenda, accompanied by their favourite snacks and beverages to engage and excite them
- MABology film – A feel good short film bringing their employees work experiences to life and to show just how far MAB has come
- MABology Manifesto – A Culture Bible that maps their story, mission, vision, and DNA. It serves as a go to place to understand what MABology is and how to live and breathe it
Once MABology launched we needed to make sure it was truly embedded into the MAB DNA. We did this by:
- Developing an implementation road map
- Post launch engagement activities to get them in a routine and rhythm for ongoing success including Friday Joy, MABfest and MABplause
- Creating facilitator guides so managers could run MABology workshops with their teams to help individuals and teams understand what MABology meant to them and how they needed to change their ways of working.
- Providing mentoring support to key MAB people to keep momentum and overcome any challenges
- Establishing key cultural metrics so they can track the change
It’s still early days. It’s only been 6 months since launch and culture change can’t just happen at the snap of the fingers, or because of an amazing launch event. However, the early signs are positive:
- Over 200 employees attended the MABology Launch event
- Over 400 MABplauses since launch
- 78% of people joining Friday Joy – a 15-minute virtual business update every fortnight
- 6 MABstars celebrated at first new look quarterly people event (MABFest)
- 94% of people feel they fully understand the Mission, Vision and DNA
- Staff feeling that they would recommend someone to work at MAB has increased by almost 2 ½ times
- Staff believe communication has improved by 83%
And that’s not all …
MAB even won an award at the Business Culture Awards for Best Small Organisation 2021. Not bad during a global pandemic!
The whole team is now equipped to own and embrace the new DNA and the future culture by enabling them to create amazing workplaces that fuel performance and growth and create an outstanding experience for all their customers and advisers.
Isn’t that MAB-nificent.
Culture Consultancy were shortlisted for two Business Culture Awards for our work with Mortgage Advice Bureau – Best Brand & Values Initiative and Best Small Organisation categories 2021. We won Mortgage Advice Bureau – Best Small Organisation categories 2021.